Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Thursday, April 29, 2010

Using leftover baked potatoes.

A long time ago my dad told me that his mom used to bake several potatoes in the oven with the purpose to use some later in the week.  I have done this several times and have used them for different things.  He said that one way she would use them was to cut them in slices and pan fry them.
So, here they are cut in slices.
In my head I wanted to do a garlic, thyme, sea salt and pepper potato, but then I looked in the fridge and had some left over pesto that didn't fit in the ice cube trays.  So, then I wanted to also do a pesto potato.
I infused some olive oil with garlic and then discarded the garlic, because it would have burned in the cast iron.  Then I put the potatoes in and sprinkled them with some sea salt, pepper and fresh thyme.  Cook them for a few minutes and then flip.
These don't look too impressive, but they are good.  The middle of the potatoes are almost hollow inside from the baking, so they are super crispy inside and out!
I did the same method with these potatoes without the garlic and salt.  Heat some olive oil over medium heat and put one layer of potatoes down.  Once golden on one side, flip over to the other side.  Once they are flipped .... get ready, here's the brilliant part...  spoon about a teaspoon of pesto over each potato!  I know!  Yummy.  Let the other side finish cooking by getting golden brown, transfer to a towel to absorb the excess olive oil and then transfer to a plate.  Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and that's it!
These were Oh... My... Goodness delicious!!!  The potato was crunchy on the outside as well as inside and then there was the creaminess of the pesto and inside of the potato.  Truly, you have to try this!!

One potato made both types of potatoes above.
Click here for the method to cook the baked potatoes ---->Baked Potatoes
Click here for the pesto recipe---->Basil Pesto

No comments: