Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Thursday, April 29, 2010

Baked Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes

I'm leaving town in a few days and am trying to use up my produce before leaving.  Here I have 2 sweet potatoes and 2 regular potatoes.  I am trying to clean the house, do laundry, etc. so I really don't have a lot of time to be creative.  And... the last time I tried making sweet potato chips with my food processor, it landed me in the ER and me getting 7 stitches.  That was just about 3 weeks ago so I don't want to revisit that.  So, baking it is!
Rinse and scrub the potatoes well in water.
Pierce with a fork several times over all potatoes.
Dry well.
Drizzle a little olive oil over each one... maybe about 1 tsp per potato.
Sprinkle a little sea salt on each one.
Place in the center oven the oven.  Cook for 30 minutes at 400 degrees and then turn potatoes over.  The sweet potatoes were finished after cooking for 45 minutes and the regular potatoes cooked for 1 hour 15 minutes.  The potatoes are done when a knife pierces the potato and slides back out without effort.
The sweet potato is already starting to caramelize, yum!
Here are the regular potatoes post cooking.  They are nice and plump and give a little when pressed.
I decided that I couldn't wait and cut open the small sweet potato, put a dab of butter on along with a hint of brown sugar.  Who needs dessert when you can have this!?

You can do many things with the potatoes now.  You can serve them up as regular baked potatoes (served up with butter, sour cream, bacon, chili, salsa... you get the picture), scoop the insides out and make twice-baked potatoes, scoop them out and make potato soup, refrigerate them and use them for hashbrowns the next morning... really the possibilities are endless.

No comments: