Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Friday, April 23, 2010

Homemade Almond Milk

I am lactose intolerant and have been searching for a non-dairy milk to use.  I used to use soy milk with cereal and smoothies, but I realized that I was getting headaches.  I linked the headaches to the carrageenan in the soy milk.  Carrageenan is very similar to MSG and people (like me) that have adverse reactions to MSG will most likely have the same reactions to things with Carrageenan in it.  Commercial Almond Milk and Soy Milk are overly processed.  So, I set out to make my own almond milk, so I thought I would share it with you.
You will need:
2/3 cup raw almonds
4 cups water, plus more for boiling
small skillet
fine mesh strainer
blender
container to store the milk

First, you will want to blanch the almonds.  Place the almonds in the skillet and cover with water, bring to a boil and boil for 3-4 minutes.  This will losen up the skin on the almonds, making it easier to remove.
After 3-4 minutes of boiling, drain off the water and place on a towel and let cool a few minutes.
The skin will now be super easy to pop off of the almond.  Remove the skin from all of the almonds.
Place the 4 cups of water and the almonds in the blender.
Liquify the mixture for a couple of minutes, allowing the almonds to become a very fine mixture and turn into milk.  Below is what you will see.  It starts out a little tan and then turns white.
 Here is what it will look like once it is completely combined.
Pour the milk over a strainer back into your measuring cup.  I would like to suggest putting a piece of cheesecloth over the strainer to catch some of the fine bits of the almonds.  This is not necessary, but will give you a smoother milk.
This is what is leftover.
And, here you go, here is your milk!  Store in the refrigerator or up to a week.  Stir before using.  This recipe makes 4 cups.

3 comments:

Shaheen said...

Its been a long long time since I've had almond milk. This is bringing back so many childhood memories. Thank you so much for sharing.

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

Oh. My. Gosh.
I had no idea making almond milk was THAT easy. I'm totally jealous. And feel the need to buy almonds this week. Wow. So easy.

Moi said...

Mangocheeks, you're welcome! I have really enjoyed making it!

Toni, it really is easy to make. If you search online you might find various almond to water ratios, but I haven't had any problems with this ratio at all. Super, super easy!!