Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Monday, April 19, 2010

A well stocked pantry... Grains

Anyone who enjoys cooking will be the first to tell you that one of the "must haves" is a well stocked ____________.  You can fill in the blank with a well stocked pantry, refrigerator or freezer.  There are items that are always, always in my kitchen and I thought I would share them you. 

Let's talk grains.  Grains are always great to have on hand for quick and versatile side dishes, vegetarian main dishes and even breakfast.  I try and buy whole wheat pasta and there is a pasta that is out there that has as much protein per serving as a chicken breast.  I use corn tortillas A LOT!  The Bomba rice that you see is a special rice from Spain that I use in my paella.  When cooked it opens up like an accordian and is yummy!  I use oats for my homemade granola and I prefer to make my own oatmeal than open up an instant package.  Couscous is just brilliant!  It's a blank canvas and only takes 5 minutes to cook!  Risotto rice is used in a lot of dishes, but I most frequently use it to cook Arancini (Italian rice balls). And then you have brown rice and barley, neither are really my favs, but they have earned a place in my kitchen for clean cooking.  I also have regular long grain rice and basmati rice (which is essential in Indian cooking), but they were too shy to come out and play.  Ok, so I forgot to get them out for their photo shoot!

No comments: