Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Monday, April 26, 2010

Hummus

I love hummus!  It is a garbanzo bean spread that is used in the middle east a lot as well as in some of the Mediterranean countries.    I first had it in Spain at a Mediterranean restaurant and then I had it in Crete along side of their yummy goodies.  A lot of restaurants serve this as their version of (chips and salsa) in the middle east and in the Med. region.  Ever since first trying it I have been hooked.  It is inexpensive to make, very easy and good for you.  It makes a great appetizer, but I also love it for lunch.  I will slice open and heat up a piece of whole wheat pita bread and then top it with some hummus.  Hummus is also a great dip for veggies and can even be used as a sandwich spread.

Here is what you will need:
2 cans garbanzo beans(chickpeas)
3 Tbsp Tahina (sesame seed paste)
1/2 to 1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 cloves garlic
5 Tbsp lemon juice (I was able to get 5 Tbsp from 2 lemons.)
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
Salt
Pepper


Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans.
Juice your lemons to make 5 Tbsp.


Load everything up in a food processor, including your garlic and seasonings.
Puree until well combine.  This is the consistency that I like, but you may like it creamier.  At this point you can add a little more olive oil or some water until it is the consistency that you prefer.  Taste and re-season to your liking.
This recipe makes about two cups of hummus.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will keep for 5-7 days.

2 comments:

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

I made hummus once before without tahini and it was good, BUT I just bought some tahini and will definitely be making what I consider more authentic hummus in the very near future. I. love. hummus.

Moi said...

How funny! I was JUST leaving you a comment on your latest and greatest!