Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Friday, April 16, 2010

Popcorn Snack

Alright, so this may be a total no brainer for most of you out there, but this became a change in our house when I was eliminating processed items from our pantry.  My son's favorite snack in the world is popcorn!  Our go-to snack when we watch movies together as a family is, you guessed it, popcorn.  In the last year or so it came out that the powdery butter stuff in microwave popcorn bags was harmful to your health.  Even though you would have to ingest A LOT of it for it to be harmful, it still isn't "good" for you.  Plus, as much as we (as a family) were eating popcorn it can add up.  I went on a quest to eliminate microwave popcorn from our house, but replace it with something that our son, a popcorn connoisseur, would eat and enjoy as much as the other stuff.

I went out and spent $20 on an air popcorn popper, bought some good ole kernals and popped them, melted some butter, added a little sea salt, mixed it together and then waited for my little popcorn judge to make his verdict.  His response, "WOW, mom, this is way better than the other stuff!!!"  Whew! One point for mom!  My favorite way to have popcorn is to airpop it and sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese over it.  We do not miss microwave popcorn one bit and this is cheaper, too!!

No comments: