Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Homemade Granola

I have made homemade granola for years and years.  Actually, I don't know if I have ever purchased packaged granola.  My favorite recipe until recently was great, didn't use any oil, but it did have 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar.  In trying to cook "better" I set out to make a better granola.  I made a huge batch using honey once and it was a disaster!  Through lots of trial and error I finally had a successful batch today. 
You will need:
6 cups oats
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup flax seed (I forgot that I only had milled flax seed, but I went ahead and used that anyway.)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tsp ground cinnamon
nutmeg (add to your liking)
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (This takes the place of the oil that is in a lot of recipes.)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
(You may choose any combination of nuts and/or seeds that you like.)

In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingreidents.
Then, in another bowl add  the wet ingredients.

Mix the wet and dry ingredients thoroughly.  Line two rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper and divide the mixture evenly.  It's very important to spread it all out.
 
Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, stir and bake another 15 minutes.  Rotate the pans if you need to for a more even cook.  Cook longer and stir every 5 minutes until the mixture is dried out and crunchy.  Cool and then store in an airtight container.








No comments: