Good Food, Clean Cooking, My Life







Sunday, April 11, 2010

Seasoning Salt



Is the item above, or one similar, a staple in your house? Is it sitting in your cupboard or on your kitchen table? If you like to cook and use recipes from our parent's generation there are many that call for seasoned salt. I actually love seasoned salt and what it does for different things in terms of flavor. Lots of restaurants use it on their steaks, potatoes, etc. Seasoned salt really is so bad for you because many brands use MSG, artificial ingredients to prevent caking in the jar, sugar and other ingredients that you may not realize that you are pouring onto your foods. I came across a recipe to make your own seasoned salt, a healthier version, but there are many make your own recipes out there so I encourage you to look around until you find something that fits your tastes.

Many, if not all, spices now come in Organic varieties, so try and look for those and sea salt is better than table salt. When I put mine together I did use organic ingredients and I used sea salt as the salt base. If you aren't sure about celery salt all that is is ground celery seed mixed with salt. Celery salt is yummy. I have a friend that puts it on her pizza after it finishes baking as well as many other things. As with normal salt, this is fine to cook with as long as it's done in moderation.

Here's the recipe:
3 Tablespoons of Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons Sweet Paprika
2 Teaspoons Celery Salt
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 Teaspoon each of freshly ground black pepper, turmeric, onion powder, and cornstarch.

Mix it all up and put it into an airtight container until ready to use.  Makes 7 tablespoons of seasoning salt, just under 1/2 cup.  Here's a fresh batch I just made.

No comments: